The 2013-2014 school year is almost here! Please take a moment to read through the following reminders and updates.
Mrs. Gannatti has sent out a letter on 8-22-13, to all families via school email. Please be sure to read this letter as it will update you in regard to several important changes in faculty and staff assignments.
Please also look forward to the following "Back to School" Events:
* Prekindergarten students & their parents/guardians are invited to a playdate on the school's playground on Monday, 8/26, at 10am. This playdate has been arranged by parents of incoming prekindergarten students and is not a school sponsored event.
* Mr. Cosham will host a meeting for parents of incoming Kindergarten students on Monday, August 26th at 6pm in the Kindergarten classroom.
* Miss Kane will host a "Meet & Greet" for students entering PreKindergarten on Tuesday, August 27th from 9:30-10:30am in the new PreKindergarten classroom in the main school building. A parent or caregiver should also attend.
* Students entering Kindergarten through Grade 3 and a parent or caregiver are invited to a "Meet & Greet" on Tuesday, August 27th from 10:30-11:30 in the classrooms. This is a great opportunity to bring in your school supplies!
* Students entering grade 6 and new students entering our 7th and 8th grades are invited to a "Morning in Middle School" on Tuesday, August 27th from 9-11:30am. Please meet in your homeroom. Please be sure student brings in the 3 forms that must be signed and returned before iPads can be deployed. These forms are: 1. Parent/Student Handbook Signature Acknowledgement signed by parents and students, 2. iPad Acceptable Use Agreement Signature Acknowledgement signed by parents and students, 3. Diocesan required Use Agreement for Electronic Resources - one per student - signed by parents and student.
It's time to order hot lunches for September - December! This year's hot lunch program will begin on Friday, 9/20/13. For more information about the program and to access an order form for hot lunches from September - December, please click here.
Hot Lunch Volunteers are needed! Our hot lunch program relies heavily on the generous donation of time by volunteers who serve the lunches, sell the "cash and carry" ice cream and chips and take care of kitchen clean up. Serving hot lunch is a great opportunity to see your child(ren) during the school day and your help is welcome once a week, once a month or only once in a while! This year, we are using "Sign Up Genius" to create our volunteer schedule. This gives you the flexibility to sign up for the days that are most convenient for you. Please click here to sign up. If you have questions about volunteering for hot lunch, please contact Tammy Budnick at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling the school office at 860-658-9412 between 9 and noon.
New for 2013-2014 - Chess Club!
Thanks to a dedicated parent volunteer, St. Mary's School will be able to offer a chess club to students this Fall. Mr. Omelan Markiw will be running our chess club. A little bit about Mr. Markiw: Omelan Markiw is the father of Maxim in 1st grade and Danylo in Kindergarten this year. Mr. Markiw is a former instructor for the National Scholastic Chess Foundation. He taught after-school programs at Foote, Hamden Hall Country Day, and St. Thomas Day schools. Mr. Markiw started playing chess at the age of 6 and has competed in numerous chess tournaments in the United States and Canada. He graduated from UConn with an MBA and is currently working as a Program Manager at United Healthcare. He resides with his family in Bloomfield, CT.
Chess Club will be held on Fridays from 3:30-4:30 pm in the science lab (7th grade classroom) beginning on September 20, 2013. If needed, children will be able to transition into aftercare at the end of chess club.
If your child is interested in learning to play chess with their St. Mary's friends, please click here to sign up via "Sign Up Genius".
Thank you, Mr. Markiw, for sharing your love of this game with our St. Mary's family!